What is what?
For this of you who don’t know what I’m talking about here is the simple story. Your Android phone runs Android. This is an operating system for smartphone by Google, a bit like windows for your PC.
But as for a PC you can run something else than windows (linux, hackintosh, etc).
CyanogenMod is the name of that “other” windows like for your phone. It is still the same Android that you are used to, but it’s different. The guys from CyanogenMod worked hard to make it a “better” Android. Far away of all the excessive features of the custom android provided by your smartphone manufacturer, Cyanogen only packs what is necessary. Try it, and you will see that it takes only a few hours of playing around to really like it.
Have a look at their website for more information, it’s really worth the shot!
Step by step from Nexus 4 to CyanogenMod
So how to do the switch? Before it wasn’t ‘easy’. You needed to read lots of pages and learn the specific vocabulary to understand how things work and how to unlock, root, flash, recover and juggle with ROMs.
Now things are much simpler …. so much more!
Note: Remember that this is all up to you. I can’t be held responsible of anything. Please read first all this before proceeding. Proceeding with the installation will wipe all the data on your Smartphone – BACKUP.
Step 1: Backup
First, always backup your stuff. There are apps out there that can do that for you, have a look here. But if you want to do it yourself, here is a minimal checklist:
- Save your pictures on your computer
- Make sure your contacts (from Google or else) are somewhere safe in the cloud
- Try to think of anything that is one your phone that you can’t get back from the play store or from a cloud storage location if it gets erased.
Step 2: Install the CyanogenMod app
Step 3: Download and install the windows software
Step 4: CyanogenMod 1-click Installation
- Make sure to have a USB cable that is working properly!
- Do not touch your phone during the installation.
- Be patient, some of the steps might take up to 10minutes, don’t disconnect your phone or try something while it is installing.
- Launch the CyanogenMod app on your smartphone.
- Launch the CyanogenMod app on your PC
- Connect now with the USB cable your phone to your PC
Turn On USB Debugging
Let the installer download the recovery software
Let the installer download the Operating system
Go ahead, launch the installation process
The installer first installs the recovery software, essential to recover .. yes!
The phone will reboot, and ask to confirm unlocking
Some more recovery …
Let the installer pump up the operating system onto your phone
Almost done, be patient!
By now, your phone should have rebooted, and your CyanogenMod Android operating system is installed